Sunday 14 December 2014

Adding a DIY Touch to Your Gifts

It's the most wonderful time of the year!


Every Christmas, my Facebook feed fills up with pictures of people turning into Martha Stewart and pulling off DIY crafts I could even begin to dream of. Every year I tell myself I'm going to do it, I'm going to hand make all of my cards and grow my own tree and blow my own glass baubles. As if, right?

Mesmerising....


But, I'm still a big crafter. I love to make things, especially if they actually turn out well. These hand made gift tags are the perfect way to add a crafty touch to your presents!

They're ridiculously simple to make, and they look adorable!

I'm totally proud of myself

What You'll Need

Blank gift tags (mine say luggage tags)
Stamps
Ink Pad
Any other embellishments that make you happy

My tags are quite small, so the felt embellishments I bought for them wouldn't fit. If you go with bigger tags and bigger stamps, you'll want to make sure you get an ink pad that is one solid colour rather than split into three colours, like the one I purchased. I found it difficult to fully coat the stamps in the ink without getting any of the other colours on the stamp.



First, you'll start off with your blank luggage tag.

You can't tell, but they're lovely and sturdy.
Next, you'll press your stamp into your ink pad. Don't be afraid to apply pressure, you want a good bit of ink for a nice clear image.

Sparkles are definitely encouraged.

Next you just carefully place your stamp on the tag. Again, you'll want to place plenty of pressure so that the transfer comes out nicely.

Under Pressure...do do do dodo dodo

I haven't found a good way of keeping the bits around the design from coming off on the tag. It's more prevalent on some than on others. I personally like it, it makes all the tags a little unique.

It kind of looks like the hat is wearing a hat. Ha.

I decided to place my image in the centre of the tag as I got a To and From stamp to use on the other side. You could do this, or you could put your stamp to the left or right side of the tag and put your To and From next to it. There isn't a wrong way to do it, really.

If you stamp on the reverse side as well, use a paper towel to keep from getting any ink on your work surface.
In addition to stamps, you may decide you want to add some other embellishments. You could use any number of things; glitter, sequins, felt shapes, vinyl stickers....anything at all! Take a stroll down the scrap booking aisle of your local craft store for inspiration.

I used two gingerbread men on this one because they're small. And because I can.

To attach the tags to my gift, I used curling ribbon. If you're using curling ribbon for your bow, just tie the tag to the ribbon. If you're using adhesive bows, tie some curling ribbon to the tag and put the bow on top of the ribbon. I usually add a little tape to my adhesive bows - I find most of them are not sticky enough.

So festive! 

This is my first real experience with stamping. It was fun, and I'd like to learn more. It's something for me to look into in the future. Being that it's my first time, some mistakes were made (and lessons learned). For example, wipe off your stamps after each use if you are using two different colours. That should be obvious, but I just didn't think of it. If you don't, this will happen...

I'll pretend like I intended that.
It actually looks pretty good, so I used that tag. Some mistakes work out, sometimes!

Now, what to do with all those felt embellishments I bought?? Well, I used a couple as envelope seals for Christmas cards.


Sorted!




















Do you DIY? 

No comments:

Post a Comment