Wednesday 8 October 2014

Who Loves Latex?

I do!

Well, sometimes. Almost never. But the idea of the Latex Effect polish from Nails Inc caught my attention. Really, I'm just a sucker for a cool effect on my nails.

Nails Inc Latex Effect in Camden Passage

The Basic:

From the Nails Inc website:

This ground breaking collection of four super smooth polishes brings a brand new texture to your nails – latex! Latex effect polish applies glossy but dries into a waxy finish that looks and feels just like latex.

True to the description, the polish went on glossy which soon dried to a lovely smooth matte finish. I am not quite sure if I would say it feels exactly like latex, but I would definitely say it's similar. The finish has a very velvety texture and the colour is a  medium/light grey, a great neutral shade for everyday wear.

The Good:

I love love love love love how quickly this dried! I'm very impatient, and waiting on my nails to dry is pure torture. I could easily apply this in the morning before going out. Within about 30 seconds of finishing all my nails it was dry enough for me to read a book without smudging them up on the pages. A chapter or two later they were dry enough to bang around on a keyboard.

As I said above, the texture is beautiful. The application is effortless, the varnish glides on like a dream. You need to apply it rather thickly. I generally prefer multiple thin coats as it's less messy, but the brush is sturdy enough to not paint my entire finger. There was a little bit of cleanup around the edges, but not too much considering how heavily I applied it.

And the colour! I've never had such a lovely grey. I could easily see myself choosing this for any occasion during any season. I am looking forward to pairing it with some beautiful bold outfits for a chic touch.

It seems to be very durable. It's lasted me two working days! I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but I work retail and I'm very rough on my nails. Days I don't work I can be, depending on what I'm doing, but it's usually work that gives my manicures a beating. Even polishes that boast lasting 7 days chip free only make it about 3. Maybe it's got something to do with the paper-ish quality of my nails. Or maybe it's because I don't use a base coat (too impatient for that). Whatever the reason, two days of wear is definitely durable for me.

The Bad: 

While I feel Nails Inc was very true in their description, I also feel like it's just another matte polish. The latex texture is cool, but it doesn't really add much to the look of it - especially from afar. At £12 (that's $19 to my American friends) per bottle, it's pretty expensive for a look I could probably get for less.

I also find it to be very unforgiving of imperfections on your nails. I have very thin, fragile nails that are prone to peeling. This makes them a very uneven surface. I'm aware that this is probably a fault with any light matte polish (I didn't notice it with my black matte, for example) but it's still a little disappointing. There isn't really a way for me to test it because all four Latex Effect shades are very light. Maybe an extra coat or two would fix it - but I'm not a fan of super heavy polish.

Case in Point



The Bottom Line: 

I certainly don't regret this purchase. I know it's going to be a go-to shade that I'm going to love. And I can't lie, I'm going to enjoy rubbing my fingers over my silky nails every time I wear it. However, £12 is a lot for me to spend on one bottle of nail polish. I ordered mine from Feel Unique and got a free gift - a full sized bottle of Nails Inc polish in a colour called Richmond Terrace (it's a gorgeous rich plum shade - but that's for a different post!). That definitely took away the sting, but I don't think I'll be buying another one or replacing this bottle when it runs out. Unless I can score another good deal, that is!

Richmond Terrace from Nails Inc



What's your favorite type of nail polish? 



No comments:

Post a Comment